Before you proceed to add, edit, filter, or delete users, you must have Admin permissions. Need Admin permissions or have questions about managing user access? Contact JSTOR Forum Support
To add new users, they must first display under the Users tab in Forum and then be added to specific projects.
Users cannot already be associated with another Forum account. If a user already has another affiliation at a different Forum institution and you attempt to add them, it will not work.
Create a new Forum user and/or grant a user access:
- Select Admin in the top navigation and select Users from the dropdown menu.
- Select Add and then input the user's email address. Select Institutional Admin if you would also like to grant the user access to Forum Admin. Click Next and if you would like, you may add any additional user email addresses now.
- Select Add User. The user account should now display under the Users tab and can be granted access to specific projects
Please allow up to 5 minutes for a new user record to be processed in Forum before it will be ready to add to projects.
To add users to Forum projects:
- Select the desired project and then the Project Users tab.
- Select Add Users. Select the user(s) to add to the project from the drop-down menu. If the user does not display in this list, check to make sure they are included under the Users list, found in the Admin tab. They must appear here before they can be added to projects,
- Choose their role(s); if the user is a cataloger, select the cataloging forms and targets to which they can publish, and determine the base filter if required.
- Select Create. The new user will now appear in the list of users for that specific project and will be able to log into Forum and access the project. Repeat these steps if the user needs access to multiple projects.
Within the Users tab of Forum Admin, you can quickly view the list of all users in your project and the restrictions placed on their accounts. You can also sort this list by clicking on the column.
To edit project access for a current user:
- Select the project and then the Users tab.
- Select the user from the list and then Edit.
- Configure the user’s settings and Save. In the edit permissions window, you can:
- change their role by selecting a new role from the dropdown menu;
- modify their access to cataloging forms;
- add or remove targets to which they can publish; and
- change their base filter.
When you create a new user or edit a current user with the Cataloger role, you have the option to restrict the items they can access and/or edit. If viewing the permissions for a cataloger that has a base filter applied, you will see the restriction level listed in the column Base Filter.
Users must be assigned the Cataloger role in order to apply a Base Filter.
- All means the user has access to all items in the project.
- Created by means they are restricted to seeing only items they created.
- Exclusively Accessed means the filter restricts them to see only items owned by this user account and never updated by anyone else.
- Custom Filter means the filter restricts them to see only items that contain a specific value from a list.
- Custom base filter and records created by this user means the filter restricts them to see only items that contain a specific value from a list and items they create.
To apply a base filter to a user account:
- Select Project Settings and then the Project Users tab.
- Select the user from the list and then select Edit.
- In the User’s Base Filter drop-down menu, choose one of the following options:
- All records in the project (All)
- Only records created by this user (Created by)
- Only records owned by this user and never updated by anyone else (Exclusively Accessed)
- Custom Base Filter (Custom Filter)
- Custom base filter and records created by this user
- If selecting one of the custom base filter options, select from the available List Fields and then values from the chosen list. This user will only be able to access items that contain at least one of these values in this list field. Select Create or Save.
You can delete users from specific projects and disable access to Forum in general. Note that neither of these actions will impact the system-generated fields Created By, Updated By, or Published By fields.
To delete a user from a project:
- Select the project, select Project Settings and then the Project Users tab. Select the user you wish to delete from the list, then select the trash can icon: .
- Confirm your selection to delete.
Deleting a user from a specific project does not disable logging into Forum completely, but it does remove access to the project.
To disable a user’s Forum access:
- From the Admin dropdown, select the Users you wish to delete
- Search for and then select the user account
- Select the trash can icon. The user will disappear from the User Settings tab and will no longer be able to log into Forum.