You can include item level and collection level rights statements for your items. These rights statements display to the end user above the Artstor rights statement that is included in the metadata of every published Forum item. For more information about copyright and fair use, please visit our References for Best Practices.
Published Display of Rights
There are three levels of rights statement that can display to the end user – item level, collection level, and an Artstor rights statement.
- Item Rights Statement – To support item level rights, we've created community lists for RightsStatement.org rights statements and Creative Commons licenses that you can connect to in your projects. If you map Rights and License fields using this configuration in your existing project, then the terms will display with badges in Artstor and link to the rights statement and/or license you selected in Forum. When creating new projects, these community lists are already included in the Visual Resources and Dublin Core project templates. Each term includes a description for the term and a URI if available.
- Collection Rights Statement – If you have a rights statement that should apply to every item in your collection, you can set a collection rights statement in the Forum Admin. This will display after an item-level rights statement if one is included. If there is no rights information for an individual item, then the collection rights statement will be seen first by the end user in the published Rights field. If you publish the same item to multiple targets in Artstor, the item will display each collection rights statement.
- Artstor Rights Statement – Every published item will include this Artstor Rights Statement:
This image has been selected and made available by a user using Artstor’s software tools. Artstor has not screened or selected this image or cleared any rights to it and is acting as an online service provider pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512. Artstor disclaims any liability associated with the use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please visit http://www.artstor.org/our-organization/o-html/copyright.shtml for contact information and instructions on how to proceed.
Adding Collection Rights Statement
- Log into Forum Admin and follow the steps to edit a publishing target.
- Note: A rights statement cannot be added to an Omeka API publishing target, but this can be configured in Omeka admin.
- In the edit target window, copy and paste your rights statement or type it manually. If you have multiple statements to apply to the collection, use a hard return to create line breaks in the text. Save your changes.
- If you previously published items to the edited target, you will need to republish the items in order for your updated Collection Rights Statement to be included.