On this page:
Publishing your digital collections content allows it to be accessed by users on several different platforms. How the media can be used and how the data is viewable varies across publishing environments and their associated platform:
- JSTOR Community Collections: Institutional and Open Collections
- Artstor: Institutional, Public, and Personal Collections
Manage Publishing Targets includes information about these environments and how to set up publishing to them.
Item records can be published from two locations in Forum: the edit panel located by selecting an item and clicking Edit or the item panel located on the project page. Please limit publishing to 10,000 records at a time.
Publish Items from Edit panel:
- Select one or multiple items from the item panel and then click Edit on the Actions Bar to open the item record.
- Select Publish. Check the targets to which you want to publish your content. If default targets are established, these targets will already be checked. Select Publish again.
- From the Publication Summary window, you have the option to view the status in the Publishing Monitor or you can select the hyperlinked collection name which will take you to your target collection.
Publish Items from Item Panel:
- Select one or multiple items from the item panel. Click Publish on the Actions Bar.
- Check the targets to which you want to publish your content. If default targets are established, these targets will already be checked. Select Publish again.
- From the Publication Summary window, you have the option to view the status in the Publishing Monitor, or you can select the hyperlinked collection name which will take you to your target collection.
When editing an individual item, you can view the publishing and suppression history for all the project’s targets by viewing the Publishing Info located below the item preview on the right side of the record. This displays a status of unpublished, published, or suppressed as well as the last publishing activity date and who completed the most recent publishing activity.
Publishing Monitor & Publishing Errors
The Publishing Monitor displays the status of your published items. To view the Publishing Monitor, select Activity Monitor underneath the item panel.
When you publish items that are missing data from required fields, you will see an error message listing which SSIDs will not be published. If an item fails to publish or looks incorrect after you have changed it, double-check the item's metadata and publish it again.
Suppressing an item will remove it from collection(s), but the item will remain in Forum to edit or re-publish at any time. Users with Cataloger permissions can only suppress items they have uploaded and they must have publishing privileges for all targets to which the item has been published.
To suppress an item, select one or multiple items and click Suppress on the Actions Bar. Check the targets to which you want to suppress your content. If default targets are established, these targets will already be checked. Select Suppress again. You will receive a confirmation message stating your items have been suppressed. Suppressed items will also show as suppressed in the item panel for publishing status. You can re-publish suppressed items at any time.
Filter Based on Publishing Activity
For each publishing target, you can filter on the status, publication date, and user who published.
- Status displays Published, Not Published, or Suppressed depending on the status of your item.
- Published On displays the most recent published or suppressed date of an item.
- Published By displays the username of the user who most recently published or suppressed an item.
You can filter your items on these columns and save your filtered results as a Saved Filter for future reference.