On this page:
Create Cataloging Forms
Cataloging forms are used as the visual element to view and edit your metadata. While catalogers can see the metadata for item in the item panel, the cataloging form is required when accessing individual item or items in bulk to manage the data in the edit tab.
Multiple cataloging forms can be created for a project, each with a different purpose. It’s always recommended that project administrators have access to a full cataloging form that represents every field in the project in order to oversee data management. For that reason, pre-built cataloging forms are provided when using any of the project templates to establish your metadata schema. You may edit or remove these pre-built cataloging forms just as you can for any other form.
To add a new cataloging form:
- Select Project Settings and navigate to the Cataloging Forms tab.
- In the left box of Cataloging Forms, select Add.
- In the dialog window, enter a unique cataloging form name and select Save.
- Add fields to your new cataloging form by selecting Add under the Cataloging Form Fields section.
- In the window, select fields to add to the cataloging form and then select Save. You may select a single field, or use Shift+click to select successive or Ctrl+click to select random available fields.
- After the fields are added, use drag and drop to reorder the fields in the form.
- Double click or select and Edit field to edit the #Per Row value. This value can be set to 1, 2, or 3 and triggers multiple fields to display on the same row in the cataloging form. Edit the adjacent fields so the correct number appears on the row (e.g. if a field is set to 2 per row, change the field either before or after it to have the same #Per Row value). Save any changes made to fields in a cataloging form.
Remember to update Permissions for catalogers so they can see new cataloging forms.Administrators by default can see all edits and forms added to the project.
Change Field Labels in Cataloging Forms
You can customize the label and description of any or all fields for a particular cataloging form, without impacting the field label at the project level. For example, the Creator field can be changed to “Architect” in a particular cataloging form that has been designed for describing images of architecture.
To change a field label or description in the cataloging form:
- Select the form that the field appears on the left, then select the field from the list on the right, and then select the Edit.
- Enter the preferred field label and/or description and select Save. The default description used will be what is set for the field, but you can optionally edit the description to be unique to individual cataloging forms.
Deleting a field from a cataloging form only deletes it from the layout and not the project. However, deleting a field from a project deletes it from all cataloging forms.
Create Read-only Access Using Cataloging Forms
Project administrators can limit a cataloger’s access to certain fields in the project through cataloging forms. If a cataloger is required to have access to certain fields, but cannot edit those fields, you can create an entirely read-only screen or set certain fields to be read-only.
To set a field as read-only:
- Select the project and navigate to the Cataloging Forms tab.
- Follow the steps to create a new cataloging forms or select an existing form that you would like to edit.
- Select the field to restrict and select Edit.
- In the window, uncheck the box for Editable, and select Save.
- Repeat for any/all fields you wish to restrict.
Reorder or Delete Cataloging Forms
You can reorder cataloging forms to display in a certain order in Forum or delete them entirely. Note that deleting a cataloging form does not delete any of the data in the project. Cataloging forms can be added, edited, ordered, and deleted independent of the project’s content, and is just used as a point of access to the metadata.
Reorder Cataloging Forms: select your project and the Cataloging Forms tab. In the left side panel displaying your cataloging forms, drag and drop the forms to match the order you would like them to display in Forum. Alternatively, can enter a sequence number to order your forms. These changes will be immediately visible for you and other users in your Forum project.
Delete a cataloging form: select the form from the box on the left. Select the trash can icon to delete the form.
Likewise, fields may be deleted from a cataloging form independent of deleting the field from the project. For more information on how to delete fields from a project can be found in Manage Project Fields.
To delete a field from a cataloging form:
- Under the Cataloging Forms tab, select the screen form from the box on the left.
- In the box on the right, select the field from the list available.
- Select the trash can icon to delete the field from the form.