On this page:
Catalog with List Terms
Once a list is connected to either a list field or linked field, terms from the list can be selected from the list and added to your item records.
To use a list term:
- While editing an item, either select the list icon under the field name or the arrow in the field to access your list.
- Search the list of terms. Partial searching is accepted for text and list fields, e.g. searching “reg” will return results for text and list fields only with values such as “regal”, “registration”, “regulatory”, etc.
- Select one or multiple terms to link then select Link Term. Your linked term(s) will now display in the field. If your field is a list field, then you will see the selected list term(s) only. If your field is a linked field, you will see your list terms added as display text as well as linked terms below. You can optionally edit the display text for a linked field.
Add or Edit List Terms
Only users with permission to a list may add terms to that list. Forum Admins can grant a user permission to a list so they can add and edit terms. Users that need to use list terms when cataloging do not need to be given permission to edit a list.
To add a term:
- While editing an item, select the list icon under the field name to access your list.
- Select Add New Term. This will open a new tab where you can add the new term.
- Input text into the main term field. The main term field is a mandatory field (denoted with an asterisk) and must have a value before the term can be saved. If the term contains other fields, enter additional information. After inputting the term information, select Save or Save & Close.
- Navigate back to editing the item. Your new term will now appear in the list and can be linked to an item. All new terms are automatically assigned a Term ID and Institution ID (based on your institution).
To edit an existing term:
- Select the Lists tab.
- In the left panel, you will see all lists you have permission to edit. If you do not see the Lists tab, you do not have permission to edit any lists. Contact your local Forum administrator or email@example.com for assistance. Select the list containing the term you want to edit.
- Search for and then select the term you want to edit. Select the Actions menu then Edit.
- Your term will open in a new tab. Make your edits and select Save or Save & Close. The main term field (denoted with an asterisk) must have a value in order for the edit to save.
Add or Edit List Terms with Excel
You can bulk create new terms and edit existing terms using Excel. Similar to adding records to your project, adding values to your list uses an Excel template so the new values match the structure of the list.
To add or edit terms with Excel:
- In Forum, select the Lists tab. In the left panel, you will see all of the lists you have permission to edit. If you do not see the Lists tab, you do not have any permissions to edit any lists. Contact your local administrator or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Select the relevant list then select the Options menu. Select Export All Terms or Export Selected Terms.
- Open the Excel spreadsheet. Use the Term ID column to enter NEW for each new term you wish to import. Copy the value in Institution and paste it for each NEW row. You can leave the Level column blank. Add your new field values for the subsequent columns. You can also elect to edit your existing terms during this step as well, just be sure not to change the Term ID column.
- For subsequent updates of terms from an Excel spreadsheet, you cannot update the lists’ Main Term value through Excel. Terms in this field will be omitted from the import and you will see this verified in the import messaging.
- Save the spreadsheet. Return to the Lists tab and select the Options menu. Select Import Terms. Browse to select the edited spreadsheet and select Import. Your import status will be reported in the confirmation window. Select Ok. The new terms will appear in your list.
Unlink and Delete List Terms
You will not be able to delete a term until all items using the term have been unlinked.
To unlink a term from an item:
- Edit the item(s) using the term.
- Navigate to the relevant field, then select the X in the term label. For a linked field type, this will not remove the value from the display text. You will need to additionally remove the term’s display information.
- Select Save or Save & Close.
To delete a term from a list:
- Select the Lists tab. In the left panel, you will see all of the lists you have permission to edit. If you do not see the Lists tab, you do not have any permissions to edit any lists. Contact your local administrator or email@example.com for assistance.
- Select the relevant list, then select a single term(s) you want to delete.
- Select the Actions menu then Delete or double click on the term to edit it. From the Options menu, select Delete.
- Confirm you wish to delete the selected term. After confirming, your term will be removed from the list.