On this page:
About Sets and Filters
A Set is a manual grouping of items. Think of a set as a folder, into which you can add or remove items. Use a set to quickly view items that you need to apply cataloging changes to, view publishing status of, load new media for, or any other action that can be performed on an item.
Filters, by contrast, are dynamic. New items that fit within the filter’s criteria will appear when you view the saved filter. A set is static, and while you may use a filter to find and locate a group of items, once these are added to a set, the set becomes static and any new items must be added manually.
You can use filters in a project’s item panel to perform fielded searches, search date ranges, or controlled lists. Multiple filters may be applied on multiple fields, and filters can be saved for accessing later through the Saved Filters panel. New items added to your project that fit within the filter criteria will be dynamically added to your saved filter.
The Sets and Filters panels are available on the left side of the cataloging environment. You can search for set or filter names in the search box. Additionally, you can sort the list of sets or filters in ascending or descending order, or narrow the list of results down by the permissions (Private, Restricted, or Shared).
Set and Filter Permissions dictate who may view and/or edit a set. All sets and filters can be accessed by administrators, regardless of restriction.
- Private- viewable and editable only by you.
- Restricted- viewable and editable by you and those you assign to it, selectable by a drop down menu of user accounts.
- Shared- viewable by anyone with access to the project. Shared sets and filters can be edited by both the set creator and users with administrator privileges.
To create a set:
- Select items from the item panel
- From the Actions Bar, select Add to Set and choose New Set. You can also drag and drop items into the set area to create a new set.
- A window will open where you can enter a name for the set and a description of the set.
- Choose to make the set either Private, Restricted, or Shared.
- Select Create. Your new set will display in the Sets panel.
To add items to an existing Set:
- Select items from the item panel,
- From the Actions Bar, select Add to Set and then Existing Set. You can also drag and drop items into the set area to add to a set.
To delete a set:
From the Sets panel, right-click on the set and then select Delete Set. You can also delete a set by selecting the Sets option menu. Because sets act like folders, deleting a set will not delete any items from the project. Only the grouping of those items will be deleted.
To edit a set:
From the Sets panel, right-click on the set and then select Edit Set. You can also edit a set by selecting the sets option menu. For an existing set, you can edit the name, description, and permissions. Make your changes in the set configuration window and then select Save.
To filter items:
- Hover your mouse over the column you would like to filter on and a small funnel icon will appear. Click on the funnel to enable the filtering options for the column.
- For each column, choose the parameters you would like to filter on. The filter will be applied automatically as you select the relevant items, and will appear above the item view panel
- Filters can be removed individually or in batch.
- To remove an individual filter, click the x on the filter name above the item view.
- To remove all filters, select Clear above the item panel.
Once you've applied a filter, you can also select "Switch to Horizontal Filters" for an alternative view.
To create a Saved Filter:
- Filter your items following the above steps.
- Above the item panel, select Save as New Saved Filter.
- A new window will open where you can enter a name for the saved filter and a description.
- Make the saved filter either Private, Restricted, or Shared.
- Select Create. Your new saved filter will display in the Saved Filters panel.
- You can edit a saved filter’s parameters at any time by altering the set filters and then selecting Update Saved Filter.
To apply a Saved Filter:
- Locate your saved filter in the Saved Filters panel. Hovering over a filter’s title will reveal the parameters. Apply the filter by clicking on its title.
- Once the filter is applied, the items that fit the parameters will load in the item panel and the parameters will display above the items.
- You can remove the Saved Filter by selecting Clear above the parameters. This will return you to viewing the full project.
To delete a Saved Filter:
From the Saved Filters panel, right-click on the filter and then select Delete Saved Filter. You can also delete a filter by selecting the Saved Filters option menu. Deleting a filter will not delete any items from the project. Only the filtered view of those items will be deleted.
To edit a Saved Filter:
From the Saved Filter panel, right-click on the filter and then select Edit Saved Filter. You can also edit a filter by selecting the Saved Filters option menu. For an existing filter, you can edit the name, description, and permissions. Make your changes in the filter configuration window and then select Save.