On-going maintenance of projects may sometimes lead to shifting content between projects to fulfill a specific need. The following steps can be used to achieve the movement of content within the system more efficiently.
Create Project Template in Excel
After the new project has been created, export an Excel template of those fields.
If moving data from project to project on the same environment, select the new project.
- From the main asset panel, select a single record, OR if none move to step 2.
- Click the gear menu in the top right of your screen and select Excel > Export selected records (if no records exist in the project, select Excel > Export all records).
- Open the spreadsheet in Excel, and if you exported a single record then clear the second row of data; save the file as “[Name] Project Template” and set aside on desktop.
Export Data from Previous Project
- Select the project that contains the records you’re moving.
- From the main asset panel, click the gear menu and select Excel > Export all records. Excel has a limit of 65,536 rows.
- Open the spreadsheet in Excel and clear the top row of the field headers.
- Open the “[Name] Project Template” spreadsheet and view both side-by-side.
- Copy and paste the “[Name] Project Template” headers into the appropriate columns in the exported data sheet.
- In the SSID column, change all SSID numbers to NEW (case-sensitive).
- Save the data sheet to your desktop.
Import Data to New Project
- Select the project receiving the moved records.
- From the main asset panel, click the gear menu and select Excel > Import records.
- Browse to your desktop, find the data sheet with corrected template headers, and click Import.
- You will receive a confirmation window notifying you of the number of records created.
Download Media Files (Optional)
For this next part, you can choose to download the images from the previous project to re-import back into the new project. Or you can upload the source images from your hard drive directly – whichever is easiest for you. In the workflow above, when you upload the images after importing the data, the filenames will sync up with the data and they will automatically match. The migration process will then be complete. If the images are not available on your hard drive and you need to re-download the images, follow the steps below.
- Select the project that contains the records for moving.
- At the bottom of the page, select 100 records per page.
- On your keyboard, hold Shift and click to select all records on the page.
- Click the gear menu and select Download selected media files.
- You will receive a confirmation window. Click OK.
- Repeat for all intended pages of media files.
- Once the zip files arrive in your email inbox, unzip the files to your desktop for uploading to the intended project receiving the records.
- The downloaded multimedia filenames will add the SSID number of the original record to the filename. Be sure to remove this extra information from the filename before uploading into your new project.
- Once you upload the multimedia files, the system will automatically sync the filenames in the data and match to the media files. The migration will then be complete and you can clean up your records, edit the data, and re-create your Sets or Filters that were in the original project.
An optional step, and one that is recommended when migrating out of a project on the same environment, is to suppress and delete the original records. Suppressing will pull the records back from the publishing target so they are no longer visible, and not likely to create duplicate results for end users. Deleting will remove the records from the original project for either deleting the project altogether, or to create more space since they were re-created in another project.