This article details the steps to enable Works for an existing project. If you need to create a new project, please follow the instructions in Create, Copy, Rename, and Delete Projects before proceeding with these instructions.
Enable Works for a Project
To enable works for a project:
- Log into the Administrative Tools and select the project for which you want to enable works.
- Under the Fields tab, check the box for Enable Display Records to utilize work records.
- Under the Work Mapping column, check the box next to the item record fields you want to map to the work. There are no required fields that must be checked.
- Create a new field and use the Linked Work Field field type. This is the field that will allow you to search and create new works in the item record. It is important to leave this field unchecked under the Work Mapping column.
- Add the new Linked Work Field to any cataloging screen.
View and Edit the Work to Item Map
Now that works is enabled for your project, you can now set up the work to item map. This map controls how metadata captured in the work record will populate the mapped item record fields. The map can support many different configurations so please reach out to email@example.com should you have questions.
To view and edit the work to item map:
- Under the Fields tab, select View/Edit Map.
- You will be prompted to create a new map if there is not one already created for this project. Input a name of your choosing for your new map and we recommend checking the box to use the default map. This automatically maps any fields that correlate to our standard work to item map. Select Create. After the work to item map loads, you can see on the left the work record fields that can be mapped and on the right your item record fields. Work record fields that are currently mapped are highlighted in green.
- Above the item record field on the right, you can change the Global Delimiter to one of your choosing. If multiple work record fields are mapped to the same item record field, this character will delimit the values from the multiple fields. The default global delimiter is a semicolon ( ; ), but can be changed to another character of your choosing such as a pipe symbol (|) which will create a line break in Artstor.
- Click, hold, and drag the work record field to the correlating item record field to map a field.
- You can optionally set a condition for mapped fields. For example, if the agent role is set to patron then the metadata will populate the mapped item record field. This example condition is demonstrated in the image below, but there are many variations on conditions you can set. Conditions can be edited or removed.
- To unmap a field, click the x to the right of a mapped item record field.
- After you are done making changes to the map, select Save or Save and Close.